Dell Laptops are well-known for their excellent portable computing performance. A battery is the most critical component of the laptop, allowing you to enjoy the portable experience of the machine without looking here and there for an electrical socket. However, the battery of the laptop begins to wear down with the passage of time.
It’s important for you to check the battery health status of your Dell laptop to avoid the hassle on spot. In this guide, we will learn several ways to check the battery life of your Dell laptop.
Battery Health Assessment of a Dell Laptop
There are four fundamental ways to check the battery health of your Dell laptop. Let’s explore these methods one by one.
Battery Health Assessment in BIOS
Depending upon your Dell laptop model, there are two methods to check the battery life using BIOS.
- Turn on your laptop and press ‘F2’ key at the Dell logo screen.
- On the left pane, under ‘General’, choose ‘Battery Information’.
- BIOS will show you the battery information on the right side of screen.
- Switch on the laptop and press ‘F2’ key at the Dell logo screen.
- Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Verify the battery health information which is now appearing on the screen.
Battery Health Assessment Using Diagnostics Tool
You can run the Dell preboot assessment diagnostics test to find the usable information about the battery’s percentage of full charge and its overall health. Here is how you can do it.
- Power on your Dell laptop and tap ‘F12’ key at the Dell logo screen.
- Opt for ‘Diagnostics’ in the One Time Boot Menu, and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- In the Preboot diagnostics, responds to the user prompts appropriately.
- Review the diagnostics test results for the battery.
Assessing Battery Health Status in Dell Power Manger or Dell Command | Power Manger
Both Dell Power Manger and Dell Command | Power Manger are official applications by Dell. These applications assist you maximise the battery life by configuring the battery based on your personal preferences.
Dell Power Manager supports Dell Vostro, Inspiron and XPS laptops, running exclusively on Windows 10 OS. Another requirement is the installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 on the laptop.
While Dell Command | Power Manager application offers efficient and effective power management solutions for Dell laptops, running on Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 OS. Dell Command | Power Manager supports Dell Precision and Dell Latitude laptops.
In both these applications, battery health is indicated by using the heart icon and four circular icons. The number of circular icons that are filled shows the battery health of your Dell laptop.
Battery Health Status Check using LED Indicators
Selected models of Dell Precision and Dell XPS laptops feature battery charge indicators on either left or right side. Each LED light count for 20% battery charge. Pressing the charge status button show you the remaining amount of battery charge.
How and Why a Laptop Battery Die?
Power sources in most of the laptops are lithium-ion batteries. As a general rule, this sort of batteries begin to slowly lose their charging ability over time. For instance, a battery that once used to hold a full charge of 100%, might be downgraded to a full charge capability, let’s say, only 40%. This degradation in the performance of battery can affect the productivity as well as efficiency of your Dell laptop.
After all, what is the purpose of carrying a portable device like a laptop, if you will have to look for an electricity source after every few minutes of laptop usage?
All this happens, because a laptop battery is crafted to handle only a limited number of charging cycles. A charging cycle is actually a charging process in which your laptop battery goes from 0% charge to 100% charge. That’s why, efficiency of your laptop battery keep on decreasing with every use over time.
What is an Average Life of a Dell Laptop Battery?
All batteries are meant to wear out with usage and time. Generally, the users of Dell laptops notice a decrease in the efficiency of their battery after 1.5 years to 2 years. In case you are a power user, you may even observe this problem before 1.5 year.
Tips to Improve the Performance of a Dell Laptop Battery
You can improve the efficiency of your laptop battery by taking care of the following factors.
- Always check the battery health of your Dell laptop regularly.
- Turn off your Laptop when it is not in use.
- Only charge your Dell laptop when an actual need will arise.
- Adjust the settings of your Dell laptop to save battery life like decreasing brightness, recharging using only the original charger and turning off Wi-Fi/Bluetooth when you are not using these features.
- Choose appropriate power plan in Windows as per your needs.
Wrapping It Up
Your Dell laptop is a critical device for yourself since it help you in your studies and work. So, it makes sense to take care of every crucial component of the laptop to enjoy the every feature of the machine to the fullest. In this guide, we have described various way that you can practice to take care one of the most critical hardware components of your Dell laptop, which is battery.